NewsNew AMEB Theory Workbooks
Integrated course and workbooks out now
Australia Day and Queen's Birthday Honours
NewsAMEB (NSW) 2019 Diploma Presentation Ceremony
AMEB (NSW) held their annual Diploma Presentation Ceremony on Sunday 10 Read more...
NewsAMEB (NSW) Teaching Awards
We congratulate the teachers, studios and schools who received top placement Read more...
AMEB (NSW) celebrated its centenary year in 2018 by holding a concert
AMEB (NSW) has been inspiring excellence and supporting students' artistic achievements for over 100 years.
AMEB (NSW) provides quality assessments in:
- music and
- speech and drama
in NSW and the ACT, with more than 35,000 AMEB exams undertaken by students each year.
AMEB is the most widely used assessment system in its fields of study in Australia and AMEB credentials are recognised professionally both in Australia and overseas.
AMEB (NSW) is a constituted entity under the agency of the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) and is self-funded, relying on income from examination fees.
The AMEB Advantage
AMEB provides a pathway for students to follow as they gain
- technical ability
- performance skills and
AMEB also supports students and teachers through:
- Beginner to tertiary entrance level music and speech and drama syllabuses
- Music theory and aural skills required for higher levels
- Teaching qualifications in music and speech and drama
- Wide repertoire ranging from classical to contemporary
- Commitment to Australian content and composers
- Regularly updated syllabuses that reflect best practice
- Teacher workshops in Sydney, regional NSW and the ACT
- Specialists in their instrument category
- Extensive knowledge in education, teaching and/or performance
State of the art facilities
- Sydney CBD location
- Purpose built examination studios
- Examination locations throughout NSW and the ACT
Recognised standards of achievement
- Respected qualifications that can assist with high school music scholarships and entry into tertiary institutions Australia-wide
- Recognised by prestigious international institutions
- Detailed examination reports
- Annual diploma presentation ceremony
At the end of the nineteenth century there was support across Australia for examinations in music. The Universities of Adelaide and Melbourne agreed to offer a public examinations scheme in 1906. By 1918, universities from all other states had joined the agreement.
Initially called the ‘Central Board’, the name was changed to Australian Music Examinations Board (AMEB) in 1921. An Australia wide examination system for music, speech and drama had become a reality.
The AMEB program inspires learning in music, speech and drama across Australia. The addition of progressive syllabuses including:
- For Leisure programs
- Musical Theatre
- Contemporary Popular Music (CPM)
has ensured the AMEB remains at the forefront of arts education.
In 2018, AMEB commenced delivering exams on behalf of Rockschool UK.
The AMEB is the most widely used assessment system in its fields of study in Australia. The AMEB pathway contributes to the high regard in which Australian musicians are held nationally and internationally.